What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a branch of medical science. This aims at restoring the proper functioning of the disabled or injured body parts. It is also known as physical therapy. It is the treatment of disease, injury, or deformity by using physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than using medicinal drugs or performing any kind of surgery.
Who perform it ?
Physiotherapy is performed by professionals, known as physiotherapists. Physiotherapists study the science of movement. They learn how to pinpoint at injury’s root causes.physiotherapists are highly trained health professionals who provide treatment for people suffering from physical problems. A physiotherapist’s purpose is to improve a person’s quality of life by using a variety of treatments to alleviate pain and restore function or, in case of permanent injury or disease to make the effects of any dysfunction lesser.
Working sectors of physiotherapists
Physiotherapists often work as a part of a multidisciplinary team in various areas,such as
- community health centers or clinics
- GP surgeries
- Sometimes in sports teams, clubs, charities, and workplaces
- sometimes they also offer house visits
What problems do physiotherapists treat?
physiotherapists focus on both prevention and rehabilitation. Treatment can be for problems caused by injury, disease, or disability. Some examples are-
- Neck pain and back pain caused by problems in the muscles and skeleton
- Various problems in the bones, joints, muscles, and ligaments such as arthritis
- Lung problems such as asthma
- Disabilities due to heart problems
- Pelvic issues, such as bladder and bowel problems which are related to childbirth
- loss of mobility because of the trauma of brain or spine
- any other kind of pain, swelling, trauma, stiffness, loss of muscle strength due to various operations.
Approaches used by physiotherapists
The physiotherapists use 3 main approaches while treating the people.These are
- Advice and Education
- Manual Therapy
- Movement and Exercise
Sometimes they also use some other techniques such as acupuncture and ultrasound.
Types of Physiotherapy
- Musculoskeletal – This physiotherapy type is also known as orthopedic physiotherapy.this is used to treat conditions such as strains,back pain, arthritis,incontinence,posture problems, bursitis,sport and workplace injuries,reduced mobility. Rehabilitation following surgery is also included in it.
- Neurological-This type of physiotherapy is used to treat disorders of the nervous system such as spinal cord injuries,strokes,multiple sclerosis,acquired brain injuries,Parkinson’s disease.It can be also used for rehabilitation following brain surgery.
- Cardiothoracic-This physiotherapy type is used to treat chronic bronchitis,asthma,emphysema and other cardio-respiratory disorders.
Are physiotherapists doctors ?
In this context, various people have different types of opinions. Some consider them to be doctors and some not .Some say that it is illegal to use the prefix DR. if you are a physiotherapist, but some say that physiotherapists can use that prefix Dr.
But according to –
• Indian Association of physiotherapist(IAP)
• Indian Medical Association(IMA)
• Medical council of India(MCI)
Physiotherapists can use the prefix Dr. in their names.
Actually, there is a taboo among the people, they think that physiotherapists cannot be considered as doctors and only the surgeons or persons who study MBBS can be considered as doctors.
However- “Doctors are the persons who treat or diagnose you; they are the persons who help you to make a better living.”
And physiotherapists are doing the same thing.
So, the answer to the question whether physiotherapists are doctor or not, is YES.
Physiotherapists are doctors.